The Tri-State area has been one of the hardest hit in the nation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Today, an increasing number of people who became ill from the coronavirus continue to deal with issues surrounding their physical, mental and emotional health and quality of life. Sometimes referred to as “post-Covid syndrome” this is a very real health issue. And, it is treatable.
If you or a loved one are dealing with lingering symptoms after a known or suspected COVID-19 infection, the WMCHealth Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program may offer a path to a fuller recovery. The program is located on the campus of Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY – easily accessible to residents of the Hudson Valley, New York City, and Connecticut.
WMCHealth is well-prepared to offer post-COVID-19 recovery services. Our physicians and nurses gained significant experience treating COVID-19 patients. And, we were one of the first New York healthcare systems to launch both COVID-19 diagnostic and antibody testing.
COVID-19 Symptoms That Can Stick Around
The long-term effects of a COVID-19 infection can include symptoms such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle weakness and joint pain
- Impact to the heart, lungs, brain, and blood cells
- Mental “fogginess,” confusion, anxiety, depression
High-Risk Conditions for COVID-19 Complications
While anyone who has had COVID-19 – regardless of age or severity of illness – is at risk for the longer-term effects, the risk appears to be higher for individuals that:
- Have diabetes
- Are obese
- Have lung, heart, kidney, or liver disease
- Have a compromised immune system
- Are a resident of a nursing homes or long-term care facility
- Were on a ventilator, experienced delirium, or developed acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) while hospitalized for a COVID-19 infection
We Can Help. Tailored Post-COVID-19 Treatment Plan Led by Expert Providers
- When you have an appointment with the Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program, a primary care doctor will give you a physical exam and review your COVID-19 history.
- Then, a clinical patient navigator will be assigned to guide you through a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs for specialized care.
- The program provides patients with access to Westchester Medical Center physicians with expertise in primary care, pulmonology (lungs), cardiology (heart), nephrology (kidneys), psychiatry (mental and emotional health), radiology, and other specialties as needed.
Post-COVID-19 Care Is Here
Our WMCHealth physicians who evaluate you will follow up with your regular doctor to coordinate your ongoing treatment and recovery plan. If you don’t already have a primary care doctor, we can help you establish an ongoing relationship with one of our providers.
Can a Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program Help Your Ongoing Recovery?
Growing evidence suggests that a COVID-19 infection can result in physical, mental and emotional symptoms that can linger long after an initial infection. WMCHealth has established a multidisciplinary program that offers a path to a fuller recovery for those who have ongoing health issues from a COVID-19 infection.
Below are a few questions to help you decide if making an appointment for evaluation with the Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program may be helpful for you:
- Did you or someone close to you have a COVID-19 exposure, or test positive for COVID-19?
- Did you have any symptoms or become ill at that time?
- If yes, do you still have any symptoms or feel that you are not fully recovered physically or mentally?
- Do you have any other health conditions that you are concerned about following your COVID-19 infection?
- Have you seen a primary care doctor to see if you need follow-up care?
If you feel that you are having ongoing health issues during your recovery from a COVID-19 infection, our team is here to help you.
Our WMCHealth physicians will evaluate your condition and follow up with your regular doctor to coordinate your ongoing treatment and recovery plan. If you don’t already have a primary care physician, we can help you establish an ongoing relationship with one of our providers.
We encourage you to contact the WMCHealth Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program at 1-833-329-0095 or request an evaluation that can be scheduled quickly and conveniently.
WMCHealth Post-COVID-19 Recovery Program in the News
October 19, 2020
November 12, 2020
November 12, 2020
November 13, 2020
December 7, 2020